Inspired by the film Boyhood, we’ve undertaken our own passage of time project. Working with Ryder, who is currently 9, we came up with a list of 10 questions about life we plan to ask him once a year and capture on video. So far we only have one year caught on video, but people have been curious about our list of questions.
We wanted questions that would capture what he was in to at that moment in time, and also questions that would capture his perspective. We may alter as time goes on, but for now the list is:
- What is your favorite music?
- What are your favorite books?
- What movies do you like?
- What is your favorite object?
- What are you most looking forward to right now?
- What do you and your friends do?
- What do you wish you could change about the world?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What is the one thing you want your future self to never forget?
- If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
I had “What do you like least about yourself?” as a companion question in there to #8, but Ryder insisted on removing it and replacing it with the question about his favorite object. Since he is answering all of these questions, I didn’t object.
This is hardly an original idea, so feel free to borrow and adapt to your family. I would love to hear about it in the comments, or better yet, to see your videos in one, two, or even five years.